A Layer Mask is a special Mix Mode that will filter out image data from the layer below it in a non-destructive way.
- A layer with text will be the target of the layer mask.
- Notice that the opacity is set at 100% for this layer.
- Also notice that the text is fully opaque.
A layer mask works off of the luminance values in a layer. Therefore working in grayscale is a wise choice. Also keep in mind that a layer mask has nothing to do the other masks in TwistedBrush.
- Here a layer has been created above the layer that will be filtered and a gradient was added.
- Notice that the Mix Mode of Layer Mask is selected.
- Because of the Layer Mask mix mode the "UNDER THE SEA" text now has a transparency. But it is non-destructive. If you were to hide or remove the layer with the layer mask the text would be fully opaque again.