Only 1 mask can be active at a time yet often there is a need to have different masks during the creation process. There a couple of techniques for managing this.
Using Layers to Save Masks
You can use a layer to save a mask by converting it to an image.
- Switch to the layer that you want to save the current mask to and select Create Image From Mask from the Mask menu.
- Notice that mask is converted to an image and resides on a mask. Also notice that the layer with the mask image has been manually hidden since they are not part of your visual image.
- When you are ready to use the saved mask switch to the layer that has the mask and select Create Mask from Image Luminance from the Mask menu.
Save a Mask to File
A mask can also be saved to a file.
- Select Save Mask from the File menu. You will be prompted for the file name.
- You can later load the mask with the Load Mask menu item from the Mask menu.